Families are Forever

Families are Forever

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The silver ring thing and why I wear mine

I first heard about The Silver Ring Thing in 2006, I caught on to the idea, but didnt buy a ring until maybe March or April of 2007. I browsed through all kinds of rings at the BYUI Bookstore (Classy, I know) until I found a ring that I just loved. Some people may have noticed that I wear a simple silver ring on my left hand, but surprisingly, no one has ever asked me about it. Shame in my opinion, since it happens to be one of my most treasured possessions. For those that dont know, the Silver Ring Thing is an organization that teaches abstinence til marriage to teens across the world, these teens, should they chose to hop on board with this idea are able to buy a silver ring to wear on their left hand as kind of a 'promise ring' to the Lord that they will stay chaste until they are married. However, unlike the SRT official rings, mine is engraved with a saying that I hold dear to my heart. "Return With Honor", a phrase in the LDS society that is usually associated with missionaries and servicemen, is the phrase that I carry on my hand every day. Why? Because I feel like this is the phrase that best represents what this ring symbolizes. It admonishes me to go with honor wherever I go, to live up to the standards that I have said I would live by, it encourages me to always live worthy to return to my Heavenly Father and reminds me that in so doing, I will fully become the woman that is worthy of a righteous man, when and where and whoever he is. So why am I writing this? Im not sure...I was sitting there today a little bit irritated that yet another year has come and gone and I am still alone, part of me was kinda mopey that I so want that part of my life to change but its totally out of my control. I was feeling a little mad at God, wondering what on earth I could have done to deserve this, when I reached down to adjust my slipping ring (Ive lost a little weight since I bought it, its just a hair more lose than it should be) and the thought came to me that Im doing the best I can with what I have. Ive been working hard to keep my end of the deal, and the Lord has promised me eternal love as part of his deal. I may not know when, where, how, or even who, but he has promised me that one day there will be someone who will come and never leave, I look forward to that day, and to the day when I can take off my silver ring and give it to that man as a sign that I kept my end of the deal. I hope that wherever he is, he knows already that he is loved and I hope that he is just a little anxious to find me too, until then, I will wear my silver ring as a reminder to me and to the world that I am 'doing a great work and cannot come down.' Happy Valentines Day to all those who find themselves alone at this time, may you have hope in your future and may you find the courage to stand fast to what you know is true.

1 comment:

  1. I love what it means and I think its great. Its very true that while we think we know what is best now and what we want the Lord says "wait". Makes me think of a song by Katherine Nelson. Lord will bring you what your heart desires as well as what he has prepared for you when the time is right.
    <3 Your best roomie ever

    ReplyDelete