I promised a few days ago that I would write a post on the top ten things I want in a man, and though its taken a little while, here it is.
10. Must be taller than me. I am 5'2, so this shouldnt be too hard. However, I dont want a guy who weighs less than me or wears smaller clothes than me, picky I know, but if Im going to be with them forever, I want them to have more substance than a steel fence post. (As Shaelie is keen to point out, I like beefy men. This is always accompanied by a funny little giggle.) What that means is that I like guys who are muscled and trim. I dont care if you have rippling muscles (actually...Id prefer you DIDNT look like a guy from the hot fireman calendar, I might feel a little mismatched with my out-of-shapeness.) Although I would prefer that you have at least a little brawn, call me nuts, but I dont want to be the stronger one in the relationship.
9. A sense of adventure. Say we are on a road trip and we take a wrong turn and end up in Big Piney, Wy (look it up if you arent familiar, not #1 on my first places to visit) instead of Devils Tower, (Ok, if you are from Wy you are laughing at how seriously wrong that turn would have had to be, but go with it, OK?!) I want some guy who will just laugh and go with the adventure instead of freaking out about deviation from the schedule. Guys, a little spontaneity is sexy, trust me. Also on this vein, taking something mundane and turning it into the funnest thing I have ever done makes you the coolest guy ever! The best dates I have ever been on were watching the physics kids microwave random stuff (Christmas lights glow in the microwave, freaking AWESOME!) and furniture test driving on a slow Saturday afternoon. (You know, you dont have to pay to sit on every couch in the store?! Sweet!)
8. Creativity. yeah, I touched on it with the fun dates thing, but it can be anything that you love to create. Whatever your interests, I want you to do them when you are dating me, I dont expect you to give up everything you like to be my boyfriend because then I feel like I have to do the same, and heaven knows I just cant do that again. Also, creative thinking shows your ability to tackle tricky obstacles and find solutions that arent always the easiest to find. Write a poem, build something, I once knew a guy that welded a girl a barbed wire rose, cute. I dont care what it is that you create, but when you are finished and you can say "Hey, I made/did that", I want to be able to stand back and think to myself "Wow! This guy isnt afraid to try!"
7. Sense of Humor. Im an idiot, really, I say and do stupid things ALL the time, I spend a lot of time laughing at myself and I need someone who can not only laugh with me, but finds ways to make me laugh. My family is a riot, (really, we are either laughing our butts off or trying to kill each other, riots either way you look at it) and I want someone who isnt afraid to be silly with us. They say that a smile is the most attractive accessory one can wear, I want a guy who wears his often.
6. Calluses. Weird, I know...but I dont want to date a guy with softer hands than me...Id feel like I was dating a girl...and if I wanted a girl...well, thats another can of worms altogether. Anyway, Calluses, they show me that you arent afraid to work with your hands, which means you can 'take care of me'. It always amazes me when callused hands can be so gentle too, my dad has these huge ol rough hands, and he can be one of the most gentle people I have ever met.
5. Less hair than your average ape. I hate hair, no...seriously...I dont expect a guy that has less hair than a chemo patient, but I just cant do chewbacca. *shudder* A lot of it depends on the guy, and how clean he keeps everything, but no mountain man beards, no long locks, and above all, no hairy backs, otherwise you will find me shrieking and cringing every time you touch me. Seriously. I have a phobia of beards. Ask my brothers. So, for both our sakes, Ill shave my legs and you shave your face and we will be just fine, k?
4. A Returned Missionary with a testimony. This one is kind of a given for most LDS girls, you know, we all want the spiritual guy that can take us to the temple, yada yada...but its true. I want an RM because that generally means they are a little older, hopefully wiser and possibly more mature than most other guys their age. For example, most 23 year old guys that arent LDS are partying it up, not really sure what they are doing with life yet, but a 23 year old RM (generally) is active in church and civic duties and has the ability to look beyond himself to see the needs of others. Also, its not much of a secret that Im kind of a spiritual person, I need a guy that can be my equal spiritually, especially.
3. A country boy. Luke Bryan has a song called country man that sums this up pretty well(Its hilarious! Just look it up, ok?!) but just to shed light on it further, I want a guy that isnt going to pick me up and plop me down into a huge city. Thats just not me. I need a guy that knows how to drive a stick, knows how to shoot a gun, knows the difference in elk and deer, doenst think that agriculture is 'quaint', is comfortable with ATV's...you get the idea. I love small towns, getting stuck in a city would be my very own version of hell. I dont even mind if he hunts and fishes, but since Ive never done either, I would be a lousy buddy to take along, however, Ive got prime ground for both, so thats worth something. (also, he CANNOT drive a green tractor, I would get disowned for bringing a John Deere fan home. I AM NOT KIDDING!)
2. Compassion. I really struggle with this myself sometimes, so its not something I expect 24/7, but I really want a guy who tries to care about his fellow man, who is willing to serve and bless others. Compassion is the key to being Christlike, and I want someone who is willing to walk beside me on my quest to becoming more Christlike.
I saved this one for last because I feel like it is the most important, its something I pray every night that I can become worthy of, and I hope someday, I do.
1. Someone capable of loving me for who I am. I dont want a man who tries to change everything about me or who has such high standards for me that I can never live up to them. I want a guy who is capable of saying forever and doing it. I need a guy who looks at me and things I am more than enough, that he doesnt need anything more. I dont ask for perfection, and I know that there will be rough days, but I want someone who will stay when its easier to leave and who, when all is said and done, is glad to find me there with him at the end. All the other things on the list, while obviously very important to me, hinge on this one right here. Without love, the rest is superficial.
I know many people think I am too picky, and the 20 items I have posted recently would seem to prove them right, but I dont think its too much to ask to try to find someone who is what Im looking for instead of what Im running from. Many of the points that I have made are negotiable, life has taught me that all or nothing ultimatums are just bad news bears. I pray every day that someday Im lucky enough to find someone who can fit at least most, if not all, of what I am looking for, but until then, I just have to worry about making myself the woman who is worthy of the man that I have described.
P.S. Am I the only one that feels like dating is comparable to a "Wheres Waldo" book?!
No comments:
Post a Comment