Families are Forever

Families are Forever

Friday, June 4, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

So last week, Courtney gave me a GREAT idea to write movie reviews on my blog, THANKS COURT! :) well...last night I watched Alice in Wonderland. Id give it a 4 out of 5. Which is pretty special...since I DETEST Tim Burtons work. This movie starts out very blandly. (for anyone who has seen the Kenneth Branagh version of Much Ado About Nothing, its very reminiscent of that film in the design aspect.) it does however put an interesting spin into things with Alice running off just as this rather prissy Lord has proposed to her. She tumbles into the rabbit hole, and lands in Wonderland. Full of Tim Burtons crazy lines, and typical colorful design, the story takes off. Many of the people I was with, were a little confused, but I had no problem figuring things out because I am an avid fan of Through the Looking Glass, which this movie was partly based off of. I did find that I was not a huge fan of many of the costume choices, but there were many that were exceptional. I was also not a fan of any makeup choices with the exception of the Hatter. Typically the colors used on his face would have been a terrible combination, and had it been any other drectors vision...it would have been atrocious, but the Burton/Depp team pulled it off with skill ad ease. I loved the way that the graphics blended into the real life scenery, looking totally natural. (no James Cameron Avatar crap there!) I loved the sound mixing, it was perfectly balanced! I did find a few moments of incontinuity, mostly, in the red queens eyebrow makeup...(yeah, odd I know..) but ou could clearly see that it was done in several shots because parts of it her eyebrows would be more visible under the blue than others, clearly the soaping agent they used was wearing off...I thought that the character progression was wonderful. Alice was great, going from "not hardly the Alice, Alice was" to being "almost Alice" it was wonderful. I also loved the conclusion of the movie. *spoiler* I loved that Alice declined the proposal because he wasnt the right guy, a fitting note for many people I know, myself included. I loved that she became assertive and capable of herself and didnt fall into the womanly role of the times by being subjugated and subservient to the men and adults in society. I also loved that this character of Alice, rather than being mean and snobbish as in the cartoon version, was a little unsure of herself, but learned to be confident, capable and mature but still able to have an imagination. This movie is great for children and adults alike, and I think is something worth watching. My props are out to Mr. Burton for his great portrayal of Alice in Wonderland!

Until next time friends, stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. You are welcome...I meant a little more than just movie reviews but props!

    ReplyDelete