Families are Forever

Families are Forever

Saturday, May 12, 2012

My thoughts on Moliere, polite society and Uchtdorf

First off, I will apologize in advance for this is sure to be a long post, I do them well so I will do one again. Secondly, I would like to apologize for not posting in a while, life gets crazy. Today I want to share my thoughts from one story that, I think, illustrates some interesting idiosyncrasies in the human race. Last night I get on Facebook to see that one of my friends had posted on her status something to the effect of "I have herpes, anyone I've screwed in the last few years has it too." And I cant help but laugh. I mean...getting an STD isnt funny, infecting others isnt funny...it downright sucks. BUT...making a facebook post like that, IN MY OPINION, is just a little unclassy. First off, Facebook is a public forum, I dont think its the place to be making comments about certain things that are better discussed in private. So you want advice on your breastfeeding issues? send a private message to the mothers that you know that breastfeed...start your own support group. But maybe making a post so that all your long lost high school associates, former co-workers, distant family members, that random guy you met in a bar that one time, and all of your husbands weekend ultimate frisbee team that friended you for your pictures of their game, maybe, just maybe, they dont need to know all that deeply personal stuff about you. "Oh, its natural!" you say, "They can get over it!" But really, its hard to take someone seriously as an adult if they are constantly talking about things that polite society suggests are better talked about in more private settings. My friend and I were discussing this last night, the rising generation has and will have several problems from our inability to curb our typist fingers. I firmly believe that when we make the abnormal the new normal that society suffers. Sure there are some changes that need to happen, but eliminating social filters is NOT one of them. This not only goes for facebook, I think this goes for the kind of garbage that is allowed on TV, the dross that is permitted on tabloids and the filth that crams the radio waves... to quote (and also segue into my next topic) President Uchdorf said to just "Stop it!". Yes, I know that it is totally out of context, but hey, it fits here right? and who doesnt love President Uchdorf?! This last week Ive had part of his most recent conference talk addressed to me, TWICE, and both times it has been misquoted and out of place. This quote reads "Do not judge me because I sin differently than you." Both instances in which it was used against me were by people who seemed to be telling me that I am a bad person for stating my opinions. Which, in a rather ironic twist, seems a lot like judging to me. I, personally, would never tell anyone not to judge me because I sin differently than they do, because that feels awfully hypocritical to me. By telling someone not to judge you, you are assuming that they are, in fact, judging you...which means that you have judged them, and therefore are guilty of the crime upon which you are accusing them. It lends to mind a play written by Moliere known as Tartuffe, meaning The Hypocrite. (I wont spoil it for you, if you are interested, look it up yourself, you clearly know how to use the internet if you are reading this) It also brings to mind the sanctimonious piety of the biblical Pharisees. One of my favorite things that discusses the Pharisees is the story of the woman who was brought to Christ to be stoned as an adulteress and he simply told them "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." I have never professed to be perfect, actually, I am known for frequently referring to myself as chronically flawed. I know that I sin, that sometimes I am too harsh on people and that sometimes my opinions are more critical than others would prefer, but unless you are my bishop or higher, it is never, EVER your place to call me to, what you may deem, my repentance. "When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges or wanting to cause harm — please apply the following: Stop it!" ~President Uchdorf. Ill work on perfecting myself, and you work on perfecting yourself, and everything will be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment