Families are Forever
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Born of a Barren Woman
In light of yesterday being my birthday, I started to think about the circumstances that have led me here. One distinct circumstance hit me harder than ever yesterday, and Ill try to share it as best I can.
In the bible, there are several stories of women who had the righteous desire to be a mother, but for some unknown reason, they were barren. Because of their faith, women like Sarah, Rebekah, Rachael, Hannah, Elisabeth and the un-named mother of Sampson, to name a few, were blessed with the righteous desires of their hearts. These women raised up sons who were dedicated and consecrated to the Lord. These sons, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Benjamin, Samuel, Sampson and John the Baptist, not only gave us excellent examples of faith and righteousness, sure, none of them were perfect, but each fulfilled the role that they were assigned to and, in quite a few cases, made vital changes in history to further the designs of the Lord.
So...what does all this have to do with my birthday?
I was born of a barren woman. Through her faith, the Lord intervened and blessed my mother with the righteous desires of her heart. Four times actually. It makes me wonder what the Lord has in store for me. Will I be known for my covenants with the Lord like Isaac? Will I be known for one of the greatest romances of time like Jacob? Will I be a leader of nations like Joseph? Will I hear the voice of God and obey, like Samuel? Will I have the strength of Sampson? Perhaps I will consecrate my life to preparing the way for the Savior like John the Baptist?
One thing that this has taught to me, is that the Lord is mindful to the needs and desires of His Daughters. He answers their prayers in His own way and own time. So while I often struggle with wondering if He knows who I am or if He will answer MY prayers, I am reminded of how I got to be here. Of how even my birthday (with its own set of complications) was brought to pass because of the mercy of the Lord.
I am grateful to be born of a woman who is joined in a special sisterhood with women like Sarah, Elisabeth, Rachel, Rebekah, the mother of Sampson and my favorite, Hannah, among countless other women. Im grateful for her faith and righteousness and I know that without it, I would not be here. I love you mom!
Psalms 113:9 "He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the Lord."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment