SO I wont lie, I started this post weeks ago about how we believe that all men should be free to worship how they want and how we also claim that privilege. After reading what I wrote, I decided to start over, even though the title still applies.
There we are yesterday, doing some stuff around the house. The sun is shining, (sorta) and Im organizing some stuff in one of our spare rooms. Joe is in the kitchen doing the dishes and Id just walked in to drop something off, and was on my way back to the spare room when he suddenly blurts out "You know what I dont get?!" I stop, midstride, TOTALLY baffled, because we werent exactly having a conversation.... and I say "Uh...no?!" I mean seriously, its not like I can read minds. He turns and looks at me with this really thoughtful look on his face, almost far off, and he says "I dont get why all these women are thinking that they are going to petition to get the priesthood. I mean...they say they follow the restored Gospel, but Christ's church has NEVER had women with the priesthood...I just...I dont get where they think they can just whine to the prophet and get what they want, when its Christs church, and I dont really see that one changing....ever." Oh...wow. NOT what I was expecting at all. I abandon my project in the spare room and join him in the kitchen where we have this really awesome discussion on women and the priesthood.
This morning Im scrolling though Facebook and I see this tangent about modesty in the church in regards to young children, and how some people are totally horrified at a little girl in a sundress and others are outraged that beehives feel compelled to wear shorts with their swimming suits so that they are modest. Ive had friends get upset with me because I feel like when youre nursing your child you should cover up. My reasons are 1. Someone elses boobs make ME feel awkward. Joe is just like, 'Yeah, whatever...' but IM the one thats like 'Oh...boobs...I cant look at their boobs, but they are hanging out and I dont know where to put my eyes and...AHH! STOP LOOKING AT SOMEONE ELSES BOOBS ALREADY!' and then I sit there and mentally compare my boobs and theirs and its just INFINITELY awkward. and 2. If we have been through the temple and made those covenants then shouldnt we keep them as best we can always? Lots of people argue that there are people our there that wear shirts that cover less than what one covers when they are nursing, but as one who has been through the temple, we are held to a higher standard. I dont think nursing exempts anyone from their covenants. But thats just my thoughts...what works for me doesnt work for everyone else, and thats fine!
Theres all kinds of controversy in the church right now about all things feminist, like pants. Why cant we wear pants? I guess I didnt know that you really couldnt wear pants, because I have and have no problem with it. I mean...theres no rule we cant wear pants anywhere else...right? I wouldnt wear my nasty work jeans to the temple because they have holes...and stains...and the lingering odor of cow poop. Its not my best. I prefer to not even wear it to the grocery store because I feel unkempt. BUT, if I were on a business trip and were in a town where there was a temple and I wanted to go but only had some nice slacks, and not a skirt, boy howdy, Id STILL go. If its -45 and I have to go to church by myself and want to be prepared in case my unreliable car dies, Id wear pants, actually, I DID wear pants. Pretty grey ones that were a heavy wool. And I was warm, and reverent, and comfortable and actually got to sing the hymns without my teeth chattering. It was nice.
The Lord asks us to do our best, to look our best, to act our best, to BE our best. He doesnt expect us to be hyper or hypo religious nuts. And Im QUITE confident that He is NOT thrilled at all with all the contention inside the church right now. We anxiously look forward to his arrival, but we arent living in accordance with what He has taught us. We have a Prophet who guides us, He can help us do what the Lord would have us do, And there are SO many more important things we should be doing rather than fighting over pants at church or whether women should have the priesthood. Im glad that Im a member of the church and that the Lord cares enough about us all as His children to teach us and to lead us, but He cant teach us ANYTHING if we are all bickering like 5 children fighting over who gets to ride one horse first. Im SO excited for conference this weekend, but Im a little worried that instead of hearing incredible addresses on how to grow spiritually and to help our better man, that more talks will be focused on these petty issues. I just hope that for our sake we get it together soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment