February 25: I was a week overdue, I was depressed and frustrated that there were no signs of progress. I was in a lot of pain and had been having false labor off and on for close to two weeks. I was scheduled to be induced the following evening and we anticipated having our baby within 48 hours. I was nervous about the impending induction, but had done a bunch research and felt a little more at ease about what was going to happen. We had spent the previous two weeks trying EVERYTHING possible to get me to go into labor naturally, and had finally given up. I was in a lot of physical discomfort and was getting heartbroken that things were not going like I had planned. We were sitting in the living room that night watching TV, and I started having contractions. I thought that it was just another round of annoying false labor pains and decided to take a bath so they would go away. As we were getting ready for bed, they started up again and I remember being INCREDIBLY annoyed because I was tired and the next two days would be very long, tiring days (we had planned to get a lot of shopping and walking in the next day to help the induction be more successful, then of course, the following day I would be in labor). I just wanted to sleep, but it was not working. I went out to sleep on the couch, but the contractions just would NOT stop! I finally got the hint to start timing them, but quickly became overwhelmed and went back into the bedroom around midnight. I woke Joe up and demanded that he time the contractions, which earned me a look that said 'you're crazy, shut up and go to bed!' He grudgingly timed my contractions, though quickly became concerned at the level of discomfort I was in. We called the hospital and told them we were on our way. The 120 mile drive took forever in my mind, but was actually way shorter than what it usually is. As we were pulling into the parking lot, I turned to Joe and hysterically asked "What if they turn me away again!?" he reassured me that they wouldnt, and ushered me in to the hospital. (The ER waiting room was surprisingly more busy at 2:30 am, and since he ran in and yelled that his wife was in labor, EVERY eye was on me. It was a little awkward). We were taken up to the maternity ward and they quickly reassured me that I was, indeed in labor and that my baby would be here pretty soon! (my contractions were 2 minutes apart and I was dilated to 6 cm). Before my doula could arrive and talk me out of it, I asked for an epidural. (Seriously, it was amazing!) The epidural allowed me to get some sleep for maybe 3 hours or so. While everyone else slept, I woke up at one point and was able to ponder in peace the things that were going on with my body and my baby. It was such a relaxing moment and I was able to be calm and be filled with peace that everything would be ok. Of course, then I fell asleep again and was overcome with exhaustion. The nurse and midwife finally came in and told me that it was time to push. I would push and push, then between pushes it seemed like all the progress I had made was regressing. They finally told me to push and not stop, Within minutes, my baby was here, and Joe was telling me "Its a boy! Its a boy!" He was born at 12:20 pm on February 26,2014, weighed 8 lbs and 15 oz and was 22 inches long! I was so overcome with joy and relief. In that moment the world shrunk and time stopped until it was just Joe and I and our precious Connor. Ive never felt such overwhelming love before, I suddenly became part of something bigger than myself. That moment made the endless morning sickness, awful heartburn and months of discomfort totally worth it. In the last 6 weeks I have totally fallen in love with this little cherub! He is so happy and so relaxed and his smile is like a ray of sunshine that pierces my heart and chases away any lingering shadows that ever made me sad! I couldnt ask for a better birth experience and I couldnt imagine my little family any differently than it is right now. It brings to mind a scripture that helped me get through the rough times, it gave me courage to live for today, and you know what? Today is AMAZING!
Alma 36: 20-21
What a lovely story. He just wasn't gonna come out until it was his time. And that overwhelming love you get is amazingly special. And sometimes you don't understand how you can love something so fast. He is a precious gift and you will love every minutes.
ReplyDelete