Next example. My boss coaches little league football..there should have been several coaches, but for some reason he was the only one that would show up.
Next example. I used to volunteer on the Relay For Life committee and without fail, several members of the committee would drop the ball and make the rest of us pick up the slack.
Final example. When I stage managed SOTW two and a half years ago, we had several people volunteer to help us, in the end, we had to bribe a few second string pit orchestra people to help us because all our volunteer technicians quit last minute and to compensate, I took on 8 full time responsibilities plus full time class.
I understand that life happens, sometimes things come in the way, and we cant do everything all the time, but thats not an excuse to never try. It only means that you need to ask for help when you cant do it all, maybe make sure someone is there to cover for you so you arent left hanging?
So this has brought me to this conclusion. People no longer keep their word. Promises are broken as easily as they are made, and responsibility means nothing. Call me crazy, but if you ask me to do something, even if I dont want to do it, I will. If I see an area thats lacking, I see what I can do to fix it. When I give my word, Im there. I hate letting people down, and I hate letting things fall by the wayside because its easier. But Im tired of picking up the slack all the time, its time for people to grow up and not drop the ball because they dont care. What would happen in society if everyone with responsibility dropped the ball because it was easier? Imagine the chaos that would ensue if the president just woke up one day and decided he didnt want to do it anymore, but didnt bother quitting? What if fireman decided mid-call that they just didnt want the responsibility of putting out your fire? What if border patrol decided they didnt want to risk their lives so that Mexican Drug Cartel wouldnt flood over into our country? What if your doctor decided that saving you from a self induced, obesity caused heart attack was just too much? What if your husband, wife, fiancé, came to you one day and took back every promise they ever made? Scary? Heck Yes.
Now, Imagine on a spiritual level, what if Noah decided it was easier to walk off from his unfinished ark? What if Abinadi thought it was easier to not preach repentance...its better than burning to death, right? What if Joseph Smith decided that he would rather live a long life with his wife and kids than to do what God had asked of him? What if Gandhi thought things were easier if he gave up than if he stayed the course? What if Mother Theresa thought she couldnt make a difference and it wasnt worth trying anyway? What if the Pope quit? What if the Prophet decided he didnt want to be responsible for the entire planet? What if your bishop, stake president or relief society president had 'better things to do"? What if?
Now, Look down, where do you stand? What needs to you see? What have you given your word to do? If you have a calling, are you doing it? Is your home/visiting teaching done? Did you make that dish of funeral potatoes like you promised? Is there someone near you who is suffering in some way?
Whether you want to believe it or not, you were foreordained to do what you are doing, to be where you are and to know what you know. You have been given a specific set of tools that are made for whatever job you have, however menial you think it is. There isnt anyone else that can do what you were asked to do, which is why fate placed that job at your feet. Pick it up, Run with it! Do the best that you can with everything you have, but whatever you do, DONT put it off, think it doesnt matter or figure someone else will take care of it for you. Thats careless, irresponsible and mean. Inside each of us is the potential to make the world a better place, and so many of us toss that away! Just think of how great the world would be if would all just do our part! What if...?
No comments:
Post a Comment