Families are Forever

Families are Forever

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Delimma: the quandary of drunken office parties or helping a friend.

Im finding myself in a quandary, and I need some good advice on a social situation. My office Christmas Party is this Saturday night, I will have to drive alone on super icy roads for over an hour to go to a party with my coworkers that I see M-F anyway. All but one of those coworkers plans on drinking, and I hate being around drinking...and I really just dont want to go...but I feel socially obligated to go. On the other hand (I feel like Tevya every time I say that hehe!) my friend Amber wants me to go to dinner with her that night, Id be able to finish my Christmas preparations, spend the evening with a good friend and really feel like Im being a good friend at the same time. See, Amber is pretty head over heels for this guy, they were engaged and then he put their relationship on hold while he went on a mission, he will be back in July. Saturday is their anniversary and she doesnt want to be alone. I totally understand that feeling. I dont want her to be alone that night, and I would just normally invite her to go with me and solve both problems, but since both of us drive to Jackson every work day anyway, neither of us wants to drive up here on our one day of the week where we can do anything we want. Is it a faux pas for me to not go to the office party so I can be with my friend? Or is it better that I buck and brave it up to go to something I dont really want to go to because I cant figure out a good way to get out of it. Help?!

5 comments:

  1. Office parties are not required. I think you know what you want to do so do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um.

    I say. do what you want. Things like office christmas parties matter when you have like...careers and things...but unless you plan on making a career out of where you're working, and unless you feel like you need to be there to get brownie points or something, I would just go with the truth: you need to help out a friend. Most people do things like that and should be understanding. :) Hope that helps! :) Thanks for your comment on my awkward poetry lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie, the only reason I see to go to a Christmas office party is if you actually WANT to be with your coworkers or you don't know all of them and would like to get to know them better. In the case you are describing, being a friend is more important. Coworkers change often, but true friends are with you forever. Go with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been doing theatre for many years as you know since high school. I never once attended a cast party after a show cause I knew what went on there. I think you have plenty enough reason to go with the friend anyhow, cause friends are the important thing really, but on top of that you have values. An office party is not a requirement, even if you are making the work place a career. Stick up for your values and don't go to a place where you know everyone will be getting hammered. What's more important, fulfilling a "social obligation" that never was really there to begin with? or doing something that matters with your friend and avoiding a bad situation with alcohol and ice? Besides... most office parties are lame...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't go to the office party, it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. You also wrote this with the more positive things associated towards Amber and more negative with the office party, that being said, subconsciously, you want us to all tell you to go hang out with Amber and more importantly, YOU want to go. :) The plus side to not going to the party: Nobody will remember it the next morning and you can "act" like you went. Heck, make up some wild stories for fun, they won't know the difference! Win WIN!

    ReplyDelete