Families are Forever

Families are Forever

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Recent adventures and a growing excitement

Its been a while since I was on here, I should have blogged about my trip days ago...but my computer is falling apart and I hate trying to get it running for long enough that I can write something, but today I had to get on anyway so I decided to take advantage of it and write it all down before I forgot.

Last weekend Mom and I went to Powell to see the campus and to get to know the town a little bit. We went through the park, neither of us have ever really got to play tourist in Yellowstone, so it was fun to be able to do that together. Then we went to the Buffalo Bill Dam, apparently it is the tallest dam in the world, who knew?! It was a pretty cool place. We passed through Cody on our way and finally made it to Powell, it is SO beautiful over there, the scenery is totally different than what I am used to, but it is stunning! We stayed at the Lamplighter Inn and it was fantastic! At first I was thinking it was another divey place, but it was really clean. The beds were SO comfy, and their restaurant had not only the BEST steak on all of creation, but it also had FRIED ZUCCHINI! Best. Birthday. EVER. The next day we went to the Singles Ward there, I hadnt noticed, but when we got out to the car, mom pointed out that there were way more boys in the ward than girls...and according to her, she had noticed quite a few decent looking guys checking me out. I hadnt noticed. No, really....I wasnt paying attention..stupid me...and I missed these guys. Fail. Thats ok, I guess that it means that things may look up for me when I get up there. :) After Sacrament meeting we went to Cody and spent the next 5 1/2 hours in the Buffalo Bill Historic Center. This place is MASSIVE. We saw maybe 1/3 of it, if we were lucky. I hope to spend much more time there. On our way back to the hotel we stopped at the Heart Mountain Memorial Park. This was the site of the third largest city in Wyoming. During WWII thousands of Japanese Americans were put into local POW type camps. They were feared to be sympathizers of the Japanese cause and there was a social hysteria of their race, so the government created these concentration camp things that were filled with thousands of people. After the 'interns' were released, the camp was totally dismantled and turned into farm land. It was pretty neat to learn all that stuff, especially considering that it is a terrible part of our nations history that very few people know about. And Heart Mountain is BEAUTIFUL, we got there just in time to see the sunset and it was just stunning. The next day we went and toured campus. Its very pretty, and pretty tiny. In comparison to BYU-I, it covers from maybe the Library down to the Spori. And unlike Rexburg, there are virtually no apartment complexes near campus to live. Basically, at this point my only options are dorms with sinks in the room...or dorms with just beds in the room. No kitchens, only meal plans. No cozy apartments with bathrooms...only communal showers. Im pretty bummed about this. Majorly bummed. At 23, the last thing I want is a 17 year old fresh out of high school child with no concept of how life works, a required meal plan and fungus ridden showers :/ but I think at this point, I have to take what I get and deal with it. After touring Campus mom and I went and met up with her friend BJ who lives up in Powell and I got to know here a little, she is pretty awesome, and Im really glad there will be someone nearby that I can go to if I need anything (like a kitchen!) We also went and got some lunch and the pharmacy soda shoppe. Their food was way tasty and there were some pretty colorful people in there, we giggled so much and it was fun! Tuesday took us to the end of the trip, and we drove home again, we swung over to old faithful and walked out to what used to be called Morning Glory Pool. Moms parents took her there once as a kid, and she remembered its vivid blues and greens and wanted to share the one thing she remembered from Yellowstone with me. We walked for quite a way to get there and finally made it. It crushed my heart to see how disappointed she was that the pool was no longer the vivid beauty that she remembered, but that instead, there was a deep orange ring around the edge and the deep colors were fading to make way for the oranges and yellows caused by pollution. It is such a shame that humans are such an invasive species with little regard to their environment or to others. I think its stupid that someone would ruin something so beautiful just because they think it might be cool to throw a pop can or a handful of change into a hot pot. I hate people sometimes. Mom and I left and made it home that night tired, but both of us were pretty excited for me to get back to school and start this new phase in life. I cant wait! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment