Families are Forever

Families are Forever

Monday, October 24, 2011

Heartless Loveless or Dependably Independent

I really want to know if my desire to not be everyones sounding board for their relationship problems and dating foibles makes me a bad friend? I love my friends and I want to be there for them through everything, but its overwhelming to be the one that gets the tail end of everyones romance mishaps. I feel like people know that I will be there and they know that I care no matter what, but I also feel like some people take advantage of that by dumping their toxic twitterpations on me. Is it heartless of me to tell my friends to back off with their issues? Does the fact that its consistently making me feel alienated and even more alone have any factor in it? Or am I supposed to be the dependably loyal friend and listen patiently to their hours of problems and offer support with the full knowledge that my efforts wont be reciprocated? I dont know what to do anymore...

3 comments:

  1. If some of your friends don't support you, then why do you consider them friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way a lot. I think it means it is time for friend spring cleaning. Maybe u need to think about who is ur true friend and who isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched a movie yesterday about a situation similar to this, "Bridesmaids". (Although I would not recommend the movie). The moral of the movie was that at some point you have to stop feeling sorry for yourself, change what you aren't happy with, and be a true friend. I think you might need to consider that.

    ReplyDelete