1. I want a guy that will love me for who I am, not what he thinks I should be. He will respect me, and treat me like I am the best thing that has ever happened to him. He won't tell me what I can or cant do, but he will encourage me to be a better person.
2. He will appreciate my mind, make me laugh and never treat me like I am inferior.
3. He will honor his priesthood. I never want my kids to be afraid to ask their dad for a blessing. He will also go to the temple with me, I dont want to have to go alone like my mom because my dad wont take a day off.
4.He will let me be the girl in the relationship. Meaning I dont want a guy that sees my strong personality and wants me to 'wear the pants'. I need a man that makes me feel delicate and feminine, but I also want him to allow me to be the strong person I am. (sadly I dont even know if this is possible)
5. He reminds me that the world is a beautiful place. He appreciates beauty in nature, and he understands that Star Valley is sewn into my heart and soul.
6. He tells me that I am beautiful. Not hot, cute, pretty or 'plain, but I love you anyway' (yeah, Ive been told that...it SUCKED!) but more importantly, he means it.
7. He likes my family. (Really...any man that can get along with all of my family deserves to be sainted!)
8. He listens to me and thinks that I have good ideas and goals. He doesnt think that 'a womans place is in the home', he respects my dreams and encourages me to achieve them. (I once had a guy tell me that righteous women stayed at home with their kids and made sure that dinner is on the table when their husband gets home. He also said that they dont ride motorcycles, and that I want to have my own motorcycle and want to be more in life than a Molly Mormon June Cleaver knock-off meant that I wasnt a righteous woman and that I wouldnt ever find a man until I 'reevaluated my stance on what it means to be a woman.' Jerk.)
9. This is lame...but I like a guy with broad shoulders and calluses on his hands, to me it means that he is capable of bearing through the hard times with me, and that he knows the value of hard work. (besides...it would be awkward cuddling with someone who is bony and has girly hands...really...)
10. He makes me laugh, but isnt afraid to say something I need to hear. He encourages my sense of adventure, but reminds me to be responsible.
11. He is a country boy. Shallow, but I want a man who likes to work with the land, loves wide open spaces and wont drag me off to live in some city.
12. He trusts me
13. Most importantly, he keeps his promises. I want a man who, when he promises forever, he means it. I dont want to ever again hear the words "I dont want to marry you after all." I want a man who tells me something, and I know that he will do it.
I dont know...these all seem like little things to me that make up one big dream. A dream that Im surrendering all hope for, and a dream that I still cant seem to give up. I dunno...are these silly things to look for in a man?
I don't think it is silly!!! I think those are pretty good things to want. Also...I can't beleive that guy told you to re-evaluate what it means to be a woman!!! I HATE that! SO SO SO MUCH! And obviously, his opinion matters because, being a man, I mean, I'm sure he REALLY know what it's like to be a woman! What a joke!!! Tell me who this guy is so I can beat him up. Or something.
ReplyDeleteAnd, just a thought...I've heard it said that instead of focusing on what we want, we ought to focus on who we want to be--for ourselves, and for that someone. But I think that for ourselves thing is pretty important. :) Good blog Cassie! :) Oh, and the being strong but still being feminine thing...totally possible. ;)
Haha, Jo, that guy was this putz from GA. His name has been etched on my long list of guys that have just been total jerks to me, but I hope he finds his 'perfect mormon girl' and lives a long and utterly boring life with her. I know that when he told me that I was crushed, I mean, I wasnt interested in him at all, but to have a guy say that to me really messed up my self confidence. Luckily my best friend told me that not all guys are jerks like that, and he has since proved it to me, time and again :)
ReplyDeleteI have often thought about the kind of woman I want to become, and its something I work towards every day, I think that far too often, women think that this white knight will come change things and that they will suddenly be this perfect woman...but thats just a dumb mindset! the only way any of us can become the women we want to be is by daily working towards it. (haha however, for the sake of this post, I just put down what I want, not what I will give...a little selfish of me huh?)
Thanks for all your little posts, I appreciate them greatly!